Our schools are founded on the premise that parents are the primary educators and have a God-given responsibility for the education of their children. As a school, we offer to assist the parents with this responsibility, but can only do so if the children are in regular attendance at school.
We recognize that rom time to time, families will choose to take vacations during the school term, and that these vacations also present many educational opportunities. In light of the fact that such trips are usually optional, we only ask that the family’s happy opportunity not become a burden for the teacher by expecting the teacher to get packages of class lessons ready for the individual students before they go on vacation. It has been our experience that these packages don’t always get completed and, sometimes, the textbooks and notebooks get lost.
In the event that a family decides to withdraw their child(ren) for a family vacation, we ask that the family:
- Notify the school of their plans, by filling in the appropriate form available in the office.
- Ask the teacher which pages he/she deems essential in a text or workbook for core subjects only, eg., math or grammar, that the child(ren) should be completing while away, of if there is some independent research project that will be due soon after their return.
- Mark the child(ren) work as it is completed. The sooner the child(ren) receives feedback the better.
- Prepare a record of the trip, eg. Keep a journal, take pictures/video, make a scrapbook, create a travel brochure, fill a memory box, etc. Prepare the child(ren) to share the experiences upon returning to class.
- Realize that the teacher may ask the child(ren) to get caught up on missed tests or assignments upon their return within a reasonable time, and with a fair chance to prepare.
- Enjoy their time away together.
Please complete and return this form to the office. Thank you.
Last day of school before holiday ______________________
First day of return to school ________________________
Parent Name (Please Print) Parent Signature